Thursday, July 06, 2006
Endorsement Tea Leaves
- Clarkvolunteers.com has endorsed Beebe. Clark volunteers supports former-General Wesley Clark and his "endeavors." On their website, they are linked to the ultraliberal Kos blog and their news source is CNN.
- The Arkansas Democratic Congressional Delegation endorsed Beebe in March - no surprise there.
- The Arkansas Teachers - it seems they want business as usual...er, to remain in the lower echelons on public education in America.
- The Stuttgart Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Committee
These were the only endorsements that were trumpeted on Beebe's website. One would think that the former President/Governor, Bill Clinton, would endorse him, but if he actually did then they buried it deep in a story very few read. As you can see, the endorsements com from the political left - even left of the mainstream Democrats.
So, now that we know who is proclaiming their loyalty to Mike Beebe, let's take a look at who is endorsing Asa Hutchinson.
- NFIB - the National Federation of Independant Businesses saying, "his record shows he strongly supports the small-business community."
- Current Governor Mike Huckabee - again no surprise.
- Saline County Judge Lanny Fite
It's a sure bet that organizations such as the National Rifle Assn. and Focus on the Family, as well as individuals like President Bush, Mitt Romney and John McCain will endorse Asa Hutchinson.
But what is the difference between these two lists - besides one being primarily liberal leaning and the other conservative?
Well, the NFIB represents small business. Small business makes up a large percentage of Arkansas' employers. If they are endorsing a candidate, you can be sure they believe that candidate will work to limit legislation that harms small business, and in turn employees.
Contrast that to Beebe supporter, the Arkansas Teachers Assn., whose leadership leans left of Hillary. While the rank and file members may not be liberal leaning, the leadership has a "maintain power at all costs" attitude. They do not support strengthening parental rights over what a child is taught and they generally oppose home-schooling.
This is just a preliminary list of endorsements. There will be more to come as the campaign heats up. Let's just watch and see where the conservative and liberal groups place their banners.
Again, as Arkansans move increasingly to the political right, Beebe's supporters are increasingly farther to the left. That doesn't sound like where the average Arkansan wants to go. But wait, Mike is bound to flip-flop and support everything the NFIB endorses, it's just a matter of time.
Links to this post: