Saturday, October 28, 2006
Just a few passing thoughts on Arkansas politics, national politics and college sports.
- A suspicious substance was found in the offices of former President Bill Clinton. The Former President was not in the vacintity of the office and was in no danger according to reports. Hmmm... Suspicious substance - Clinton? Was Roger in town at that time?
- Mike Beebe's football comparison in reference to the Nick Wilson fiasco is lame. However, if he wants to use sports analogies, then I am sure we can come up with a more fitting analogy. How about this one: Beebe's looking the other way while Wilson stole from the people of Arkansas and then refusing to force him out of the senate in a more timely fashion is akin to a coach tanking the last few games of the season in order to get a better draft choice of an easier schedule the following year.
- I really have to wonder about the polling done n Arkansas. The latest news report in the Southwest Times (Fort Smith) said that that the pollsters asked voters who said they intended to vote in the coming election. This is what they call likely voters? The proper way to determine a likely voter is to look at past voting history. Those that have voted in the past several primaries are all but sure voters. If they have voted in the general election in the past several cycles, then they are likely voters. But, if they just say that they are going to vote, that is no guarantee of actually voting. I sell cars for a living.
- I have customers continually telling me they will be in the next day or week to buy this or that car. Then they never show. By the Arkansas poll definition, those customers are likely buyers. So, I wouldn't trust the Arkansas polls, just the final tally.
- We think we have seen mudslinging in the Arkansas statewide campaigns? Look to Virginia for some real mudslinging. It has everything - allegations of racism, pedophilia, sex, criminal activity, and more.
- Did anyone see Lynne Cheney on CNN? "Wolf Gets Bit" should be the headline news for that. Blitzer should know better than to mess with a short woman; they are dyn-o-mite.
- Can the Hogs make it through the SEC and on to a major bowl? Likely not. Look for at least one more loss, probably to Tennessee. Still, 10 and 2 is tremendous and should be applauded. This coming from a Texas A&M fan. Go Hogs!
- What are the chances of A&M vs. Arkansas in a bowl? If the Aggies can get by Nebraska and a Petersonless Oklahoma, then there may be a chance. Can anyone get me a ticket?
- Watch for the Hogs basketball team to move rapidly up the rankings. Sonny Weems is a very special player with Jordan-like raw talent. If Coach can harness that ability, there is no limit for this team.
Thursday, October 26, 2006
Beauty and Brains - Republican Women of Hollywood
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
The Dems Halloween Commercial - Oooh Scaaaary
Come on! Arkansans are smarter than that. They know that the minimum wage increases only result in higher prices. In fact the price increases are higher than the wage increases, thereby making the very product they produce too expensive for them to buy.
Case in point: I stopped by the local Subway Sandwich shop for the 3-for-a-dollar cookies. Yes, I know, I really don't need to be eating more cookies, but... Anyway, the price had risen to $1.49 for the three cookies. The manager stated that the increase in minimum wages for her trainees forced her to raise the price of everything. If the price of the cookies rose by $0.49, then what about the price of chicken, autos, or air conditioners?
And scaring the seasoned citizens about their social security! Please.
Galveston, Texas opted out of the SSI years ago - back when it was legal to do so - and their retirees now live with a minimum of three times that of what the average SSI recipient receives. What is their secret? Privatized retirement plans.
Let's face it, SSI is going to go bankrupt. I am 41 and expect I will never see a Social Security check. The idea of allowing younger workers to opt out of the plan for a privatized option is a plan that should seriously be considered.
What does Halter want? To use Al Gore's "lock box?"
Tell ya what Billy Boy, go back to making your own commercials. While they where misleading, they where at least entertaining. Then again, the ones the Dems are making for you are scary enough for Halloween - if you are crazy enough to believe them.